STUDY: Misc. 43

“REVIEW: The Charlie Chan Mystery Weekend in Honolulu”:

Published September 2, 2010 (Contributed by Steven Fredrick)

REVIEW: The Charlie Chan Mystery Weekend in Honolulu

by Steven Fredrick

September 2, 2010


A number of people have asked me how the Charlie Chan Mystery Weekend went during the third weekend in August of 2010.  Since “inquiring minds want to know” about the Charlie Chan gathering in Honolulu, I will share my thoughts and recollections about my adventures, with Rush Glick, in the Land of Chan.

Included in this review are excerpts from Rush’s posted comments.  These comments were originally posted on the bulletin board section of the Charlie Chan Family Home website.  Rush is the owner and operator of this wonderful website, which includes tremendous documentation regarding Chang Apana, Earl Derr Biggers, and the actors who appeared in the Chan film series.  The web address is:

Pull up a teriyaki chicken rice bowl and let’s get started.

Prior to Rush’s arrival in Honolulu, I spent about four months preparing for the Charlie Chan Mystery Weekend.  On April 27th, I met actor James Hong, via email, and became involved with his film festival in Honolulu.  Mr. Hong is the last surviving actor to portray Number One Son in the Chan series.  During my discussions with him, I provided Mr. Hong with technical advice regarding film and video projection.  Also, I advised him on the “tone” of Honolulu regarding his project.  In exchange for this advice, Mr. Hong agreed to appear in-person at the Earl Derr Biggers birthday party in Chinatown.

On June 26th, I began sending out news releases to a variety of mystery bookstores and mystery websites across the country.  From the end of June through August, I sent out countless news releases to newspapers, magazines, and radio and TV stations across the mainland and in Hawaii.  I received support from many organizations, for which I am grateful.

Day One: Thursday, August 19, 2010

At noon, on this day, Rush Glick arrived by way of Hawaiian Airlines from San Diego, California.  Rush and I had never met before so I stumbled around the baggage claim area looking for him.  When I found him, he was wearing a Panama hat.  Who would have guessed?

Thursday, August 19th was a beautiful, clear day on Oahu.  Rush was so happy to be in Honolulu again.  It had been a number of years since his last visit to Hawaii.  Parking was full in the lot across from the airport terminal, so I parked on the top floor.  From the roof of the parking structure, Rush got his first view of Diamond Head and Honolulu.  The sky was so blue and bright.  It was a Kodak moment.

Friday the 20th was Statehood Day in Hawaii.  All state office buildings would be closed.  So we jumped on our search for Charlie Chan immediately.  Our first stop was the Honolulu Police Museum at HPD headquarters.

At the museum, we were the only visitors.  We saw the Chang Apana display and examined old documents and photographs.  A senior police officer guided us through sections of the museum.  We exchanged information about former police buildings, police procedures, and police uniforms during our visit.  It was an informative visit.

After our tour of the police museum, we visited the old police station building from 1930.  This building, which stands at the corner of Bethel and Merchant Streets, was occupied by the Honolulu Police Department from 1931 to 1967.  Honolulu police detective Chang Apana spent the last ten months of his law enforcement career at this building.